Friday, 9 March 2012

Skipping Ropes and Bolo Bats

Eventhough the weather was much colder than yesterday, the sun was shining bright through my windows this morning.  I heard my favorite cheerful sound of of the chickadees calling and the winds were much calmer than last night.

While walking on the city sidewalks a little later to get my coffee, I felt like breaking into a skip.  The smell of the air outside threw me back in time when you could hear the snap of the skipping rope hitting the pavement in the school yard.  For the life of me, I can't remember the rhymes we used to chant while skipping but I remember the hours of fun we had.  I was never good at double dutch skipping.  Most of the time, I got tangled in the ropes or whipped on the ankles by them as the game got faster and faster.  This also reminded me of the annual bolo bats we got in our Easter baskets every year.  They never really lasted that long because the rubber elastic would snap and the tiny ball would go flying off which made you lose the skill of it because you had to wait a whole year to get another one in your Easter basket.

*sigh* I love mornings like these.  They make me want to sit on my porch in the sun with my coffee, reminiss and savour that moment from the past.

The weekend holds many happy things for me:
  • Friday night is for meeting friends, mingling and fundraising for Team Diabetes which is put on by a really nice girl with a generous heart.  She does this for her birthday.  She is also the one who organises a team for the Canadian Cancer Relay for Life.
  • Saturday is all about health.  The beginning of my personal challenge with Turbo Fire.  Eventhough I am doing the preparation schedule, I'll still add cardio to the days with a stretch workout.  I know I am stronger than just doing the stretching.  Then it's making my favourite couscous salad by Canadian Living and my own Vegetarian Chili recipe (See recipe below) to get ahead on healthy meals for next week.  The evening is reserved for little Will who is the son of some good friends of ours.  He is playing hockey at 7pm and I'm a big fan of his!
  • Sunday is for knitting and of course doing a workout.
The weather will be a little chilly on Saturday but a warm and sunny 12 degrees celcius for Sunday!

Knitting Update:

Not much to update on the knitting front other than my Aunt Claire's socks have grown a little.

Revised Prep List:

  • Print the Turbo Fire 9 week preparation schedule to stick beside my calendar at home. DONE 
  • Find my self-inking smiley face stamp to mark the schedule daily once the workout is accomplished. ( I am very visual and like to see progress) 
  • Purchase a sort of splitter to connect my DVD player and PS3 player in my old television. (The reason being that my son brings his PS3 to his Dad's place) DONE 
  • Find my workout/food journal to track my progress. Found track sheets on BeachBody site instead! 
  • Move my microwave to the small counter by the refrigerator to make space for my Magic Bullet (easier access to make morning protein shakes AND prevent me from stuffing bills between wall and microwave which ends up looking messy) DONE and DONE!!  
  • Make space in the basement to workout in (minimal furniture moving) DONE!! 
  • Calculate my calorie consumption according to the Turbo Fire Formula (Problem with this is I need my resting heart rate... I never rest and I am too brainless to think to stay in bed to calculate it when I wake up!) 
  • Get more frozen fruit to add to my shakes.  Getting that tonight!
Klicker's Veggie Chili
1 onion chopped
1 green pepper chopped
1 red pepper chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
2 small zuchinis sliced
1 can of black beans
1 can of red kidney beans
1 can of chick peas
1 can of lentils
3 cans of your favorite pasta sauce  (I use Classico Tomato and Basil) at least 24 oz cans or jars.
2 cans of Aylmer Accents Tomatoes - Chili Flavor
2 envelopes of Club House Seasonings Chili (you barely taste anything with one envelope)
Your favorite herbs (I use italian seasonings)
In a large stock pot, fry the onion until just starting to brown.  Add peppers and celery and stir fry for about five minutes.  Drain and rinse beans, lentils and chick peas and add in pot with vegetables.  Reduce heat to medium low and add 3 cans of pasta sauce and Aylmer Accent tomatoes.  Stir in two envelopes of chili seasonings and zuchini.  Simmer on low heat for two or three hours stirring occasionally.
This makes a lot and it's great to freeze.  It is one of my favorite lunches to bring to work.

Have a great weekend everyone!
The Sarcastic Klicker

No comments: