Tuesday, 1 April 2008

The yarn... The books... The budget...

As a child, Mom always showed me the importance of budgeting, saving and cutting corners. Her motto... If it's not on sale, leave it on the shelf. She scans all the sale flyers weekly and maps out her driving and schedule according to which store she needs to stop by. I remember being 10years old and running through the grocery aisle with her. You'd swear she was always racing against time. She knew where every product was, what it cost and which ones were on sale. By the time you'd gone through the cash, you felt like you'd run a marathon! The cart would be full, cost very little and you were in and out of that store in 15 minutes flat! No wonder us kids behaved in stores! We didn't even have the time to misbehave!

Having a family of my own now, I can tell you that I usually know what I need to get in a store. The stop watch never stops at 15 minutes. Eventhough I like to save money on the products, I still browse for new things to try out at a decent price.

The same concept is applied to my knitting. I am as creative in the kitchen as I am with yarn. Yes, I buy low cost yarn at Walmart but still splurge on the expensive stuff once in a while. I tend to prefer the natural fibres in vibrant colors. I still try to look for discounts as my budget is tight.

I see it as a treat. As a single Mom, I work hard and as hard as it is to admit, I usually split the extra money between me and the kids. My kids are easy to please... A Happy Meal at McDonald's (a once a month occurence), new socks, a tub of ice cream... those are little treats. Big treats are for birthdays. I cannot afford to be a parent who buys toys and video games anytime other than birthdays, Christmas and Easter. Candy? You won't catch me buying in a store. They still have their Valentine's Day candy and would you believe it that I threw out the Halloween candy in February (after cleaning out the candy hiding spot). My kids really view candy as a treat. Now a treat for Mom is different. They do not yet know the price of yarn/books I spend on, mind you my daughter (12yrs) just started noticing. I've had comments like "No fair! You can buy books and yarn!" when she asks for clothes (which are not a necessity as she has loads of clothes).

My monthly budget usually consists of expenses for:

Mortgage
Utilities
Food
Gas
Daycare
necessities (clothes/personal products)
Kids treats / Knitting treats

My treats for March:





The Sens sweater for my son is slowly growing and I amean SLOWLY! Carrying five colors at once is painful! I can knit fairly quickly with two or three colors, but any more than that is slow. At the end of every row, I have to put the project down to untwist the mess.

12 degrees celcius! Wow! That is what they are calling today! It's raining but I am happy... :o) Spring is actually in sight! My mini dianthus have been peeking out from underneath the snow bank for over a week now.




How You Live Your Life



You are honest and direct. You tell it like it is.

You're laid back and chill, but sometimes you care too much about what others think.

You prefer a variety of friends and tend to change friends quickly.

Some of your past dreams have disappointed you, but you don't let it get you down.



Until next post...

K.

No comments: